Monday, September 7, 2009

There's No Place Like Home!!

I have heard the expression, "you don't know what you have until it's gone," many times in my life, but have never really appreciated it until just recently.

My husband, John, has been suffering with severely damaged hip joints for several years and rarely complained about it. It was only after loss of mobility and immense pain that he considered surgery.

I watched my athletic husband rapidly change into an old man. His zeal for life and activity greatly diminished when his hips bothered him. Where he used to love to go grocery shopping, he opted to remain in the vehicle and sat quietly waiting.

His sense of humour never faltered though. If anything he was more optimistic when he knew that the surgery was going to alleviate the pain and give him his mobility back.

On the 4th of September, also John's mothers birthday - Happy 84th birthday, Nan - he underwent the first of two total hip replacements by Dr. Stuart Parker at the Peterborough Civic Hospital. The procedure entailed the removal of the hip ball joint which is replaced by a porcelain type ball that is inserted into the leg bone. The hip socket is then lined with a metal plate and then re-attached to the leg. Yes! that made me somewhat squeamish but my faith in Dr. Parker far surpassed any doubts I had. My heart sank as I watched John walk towards the operating room. I knew he was ready for it but he looked back at me apprehensively. The procedure only took 1 and a half hours - recovery took 2. John chose to have the local anesthetic rather than the general (where the patient is totally under). My imagination ran amok as I waited. Then I had a moment of realization - I truly love this man, which I knew before, but was only now really feeling intensely.

Below is a picture of my dear husband, immediately after returning from recovery.
It was very difficult for me to leave but I knew that John wouldn't sleep until I did.
My three children attended the hospital the next day to visit their dad. To my surprise he was up and walked to the washroom - a feat that has progressed in leaps and bounds since earlier days of hip replacement. My daughter, Amanda taught John and I how to text on her cell. John was like a big kid, as was I, texting back and forth that night and the next.
What I found the most difficult in the entire process were the things that I thought I didn't take for granted. I have always been blessed with John's passion for cooking and cleaning up the kitchen when he was done. But now after 18 years of being spoiled, I had to retrain myself how to work these things back into my schedule. Also knowing that John was going to take some time to regain his mobility, I tackled these obstacles like a champ. My list of things-to-do doubled in length but it was my turn to return all the selfless deeds he has lovingly done for me over the years.
I just received a text from John that he passed his physio test and is awaiting for the doctors approval to go home. *fingers crossed*
In my prayers, I thanked God for John's speedy recovery and for sending him such a wonderful medical team. This whole ordeal has given me new eyes to see how totally blessed I am.
I want to thank all my friends for their prayers and good wishes - God bless!! <3
Anne ^i^

7 comments:

  1. Hang in there, Anne.... I know John and your quality of life is going to improve! Yepp, it will take time, but you both will do it!

    Hopefully when you catch up to us, you'll both be home! Have a peaceful evening!

    When is the second surgery? (P.S. At the risk of being... Oh what the heck! What a hottie, even in hospital drab! LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Beth Ann,

    God bless you!! You're that little voice out there that comforts people when all is unsure - thanks for your encouragement. I believe his next surgery will be in four to six months.
    Anne ^i^

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely post even though it's under rough cicumstances. I hope he recovers quickly and I'm sure he will with your love and support. Sending you both positive thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Beth Ann where did you find him??? and he cooks and cleans up the kitchen??? he does look like the type that would be hard to keep down...hugs to all of you and speedy recovery to John..Love and light,Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much, Sharla and Margaret, for your kind words and thoughts. :D

    Anne ^i^

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like things went really well - yippee!

    ReplyDelete
  7. First time here..I host the Brenda Photo Challenges..Glad you're going to play with us!
    Hope your husband recovers quickly and comes home Soon!!

    ReplyDelete