Friday, May 29, 2009

I Remember.

When I was a little girl I would look up to my dad with big eyes. He was my hero.

What I remember most was the quiet talks I had with him alone. He was a different person then. He was attentive and caring the way I always wanted him to be.

I remember the day I took my police entrance exams. It was the turning point in my life and he was there when I got home. He asked me a battery of questions that made me realize that he really cared. Being one of seven children it was a rarity to spend quality time with my dad. He showed a side of himself that I had never seen before. It was then that I knew he really loved me.

It has been 24 years since I last spoke to my dad. He left this world in 1985. There isn't a day that I don't think about him.

The other day I was working on an order. It was a "Daddy - The first man I loved" key fob and as I worked quietly my youngest daughter, Renee came over to me and whispered in my ear. "Mommy, can you make one of those for me so I can give it to daddy?" She lowered her change purse on the table and dumped out a pile of coins.




Back side of key fob

I looked at her with different eyes. I saw me in her. John was her daddy and hero and she wanted to give him something special. She wanted me to make him the very thing I have been making for so many others. My heart was a flutter. How sweet I thought. I had missed the obvious when it was standing right beside me all the time.

She whispered that it was our secret and that daddy wasn't to know. She had heard me read some of the comments I'd received from buyers and she wanted her daddy's to be special just like them. I gave her money back to her and promised that I would make the most special one for him and it would be the only one in the world. *pinkie swear* So I did.

I would like to wish all our great dad's out there a wonderful father's day.

From our home to yours!!




Anne and family ^i^

3 comments:

  1. *sniff* you made me tear up reading this! That's soooo sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thx Ruthie, I sometimes overlook what's most important.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a sweet post. It brought a tear to my eye too. Very special.

    ReplyDelete