Monday, May 18, 2009

Size Matters

Yes size matters!

When it comes to sizing for a custom fit like wristbands and belts we need the exact measurement.
Starting with the wrist measurement. I have received several custom orders from buyers that insist that the wrist size of their significant other is 10 inches around. Well God bless them ~ but I can assure you that in the hundreds or wristbands I have made, over the years, only two were actually measured to fit a 10 inch wrist. The rest, to their dismay, were too big and had to be returned to me so I could add an extra snap on it to fit. Most sellers will not do that since it will cost extra for shipping and materials, which comes out of their pocket. I, however, will accommodate.
It has become routine for me to insist that the buyer measure the recipient's wrist for a more accurate size. I still get responses like, "I have measured his watch and it measures 10 inches long", OR "I measured an existing wristband that is 9 1/2 inches for snap to snap." The latter measurement wouldn't be so bad except that leather does stretch to some degree over time - giving an inaccurate measurement. So, again I reiterate. The best and only way to get an accurate measurement if to measure end-to-end whether with a string or garment measuring tape.
It is up to me to determine how much extra leather is needed to accommodate the proper size and location of the snap.

Pictured are some of the examples I have for you to view for a correct fitting.
Amanda's wrist measures 6 1/2 inches (16.5cm) around.
Christopher's wrist measures 7 1/2 inches (19cm) around.
It is up to the buyer to tell me if they prefer a snug or loose fit. It is then that I can adjust the length of the leather for the best size.
I used a string to measure Renee's wrist. Measure the space between the end and where it meets the other end. Pinch it with your finger and hold it until you can lay it down on a ruler.
Lay the string flat on a ruler and view the length of the string. I usually do this twice to compare my accuracy. If it is different - measure again.

Renee's wrist measures 7 inches (17.8cm) around.

When measuring for a belt. Simply measure your waist using a string or measuring tape. Measure your waist in the same fashion as shown in the previous pictures - not too tight or too loose. I will size the belt to fit you - not your pant size.

Smiles,

Anne ^i^

No comments:

Post a Comment